Tuesday, November 16, 2004

This week I'm part of an experiment at work called Continuity of Ordinary Operarting Procedure, or COOP. In case of a hurricane or a terrorist attack, my employer wants to be able to keep us working and being paid. Thus about 20 of us are spending the week working from home. I'm loving it -- I get up at my usual time, have a bowl of cereal, then sit down at the computer and get to work. I've worked from about 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. until 2:30 or 3:00, with a few short breaks here and there. I'm an early bird, so that's a great schedule for me. Also, I can start work when I'm fresh and not after an hour-long commute. I've written up four cases in two days, and I only brought home six for the entire week.

On the down side, yesterday's respite-care worker felt like a fifth wheel with me around, and today's worker didn't bother to show up. I'm trying to get them started on some behavioral exercises with A., something that has been allowed to slide since the beginning of the school year.

2 comments:

Just Me said...

Our company does this to. Know what's funny? If there is such an emergency, hell, you think I'm gonna care about WORK? Hell, if there are terrorists doing chit or an earthquake or anything like that, I'm gonna be taking care of my family. Now after the dust settles, I'll see if I can log in and see if my pc works but that's about all I can offer.

On 9/11 I had coworkers on planes and in other cities. On coworker had just visited the towers the day before. It FREAKED ME THE HELL OUT. I called my boss who had just gotten on a plane and had taken her seat. Right after I called her the pilot announced what was going on and their flight was grounded. Whew. I had a coworker stuck in MN for a week. It was ugly. I was so worried about them. We have practice emergencies all the time and it all goes smoothly but we always say in a real emergency it won't be like that because folks will be taking care of their families. But I get in the wheel in the cage and make it look good at practice. :)

Ann said...

So, they've got you COOPed up at home, eh?