Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Well, I called it right about the disabilities legislation I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Today the MR/DD systems-change bill died in committee. I still have mixed feelings the issue -- my oldest son appears to be adjusting well to his residential school, but that school is an exception. And I'd like to have the resources to bring him home.

I was pissed off yesterday because I got a note from an advocacy group urging support of a scaled-back version of the systems-change legislation; the new bill would have merely created a one-year pilot program to allow 100 currently institutionalized kids to move back into the community. I immediately shot back with a nasty little stinkbomb that basically said that it's time to shit or get off the pot -- the pro-community activists need to get serious about dealing with a Legislature that doesn't take them seriously. Our state is in pretty flagrant violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the MR/DD legal advocates need to take that into court. Maybe they will now.

The nun who runs my oldest son's school is extremely passionate about keeping her school operating. The pro-community activists don't come close to matching her passion.

No comments: