Tuesday, May 11, 2004

I've been thinking a lot lately about spirituality -- what it is and how it is attained. Last week I discussed the topic with a couple of people, and some of the comments in response to one of Ann's postings discussed the topic.

I think of spirituality as a connection of the individual's mind and soul with an external, perhaps universal force that lifts and motivates the individual to live, love, and exercise compassion. I personally need to feel that kind of connection to something larger than, and outside of, myself. I've come to believe that there is not just one way to achieve individual spirituality and that the spirit speaks to different people in different ways. Lately, of course, I've been attracted to Buddhist thinking and meditation practices. Some folks -- including skeptics -- cannot separate the concept of individual spirituality from the institutional church and its dogmas and doctrines.

What do y'all think? Is there an innate human need for spirituality? How is it achieved? Can spirituality be disconnected from religious dogma?

No comments: