Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Knock knock knockin' on heaven's door


Last night, after we had returned from Alexandria, LA, and after I had reviewed a lengthy memorandum written by another lawyer, I sat down to watch "The Naked Gun" for the umpteenth time.  I was clad in flannel pants bearing Homer Simpson's likeness, with no shirt.  DW was fiddling around on the Internet in the back of the house.  Right after I plopped into the La-Z-Boy, there came a knock upon my chamber door.  Yes, I was weak and weary, after several nights of poor sleep and a very busy holiday weekend.  Anyhow, I wrapped a blanket around my top parts and answered the door.  There was no raven mocking me; instead, there were two young LDS missionaries looking to visit with us.  I ran to the bedroom and changed into a short and t-shirt, then I let them into the house and fetched DW.

It was an interesting visit in a couple of ways.  First, DW didn't mince words regarding how she feels about our local congregation.  My only concern about that is that people will get the impression that we bagged church solely because we were offended away; that's a very common LDS misconception about "less active" church members, and it's only partly true in our case.  I suppose I should have jumped in and said, "and I'm into Zen to boot!"  Second, after we established that we really aren't interested, the senior companion commented that he felt a good spirit in our house and that it was obvious we have "strong testimonies."  It's likely that the missionary was just blowing smoke and attempting to flatter us.  However,  I had to wonder whether anybody with legitimate spiritual discernment--LDS or otherwise--could interpret the vibes/energy/whatever in our home as something holy, positive, or life-affirming.   

2 comments:

Ann said...

The WML and his wife left under cover of darkness for the promised land of Mandeville last week. Apparently, your DW is not alone in her opinion of the members of the ward.

Hey, I'm a good egg; and your quorum leader, my DH, is a king among men, Mormon or not.

I bet it was cathartic for DW to let it out.

And I wouldn't doubt at all that there's a strong spiritual feeling in your house. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have much to do with the Mormons, though.

Miranda said...

It's not just Momons, which I'm sure you know.

The very nice young lady I roomed with last week is a devout Christian of some evangelical flavor. Here's an anecdote told from her POV similiar to how she told me. Names have been changed.

"I am so overwhelmed by how much Jesus loves me and cares for me and looks out for me even though I am no body and, oh, let me explain.

I couldn't find Marta and I was so worried. We were in the bierstube and she told me to keep talking to my Arthur and not to talk to her Arthur. Here she is engaged to another man she doesn't love and she's on a mission tonight to get HER Arthur (a staff member--me) to kiss her and she told me to stay away from them if she disappears.

So then I can't find Marta or Arthur S and told my Arthur I didn't know what to do, I needed to stop her from doing something bad. My friends said it was her life and I was worrying too much about it. I don't know Arthur and he could be a bad person and take advantage of her and she's engaged.

So I find her in her room later and she was hurt from falling down the steps but nothing happened with her and Arthur."

And that is why she is convinced Jesus loves her.