Sunday, May 22, 2005

Depression, again

I was pulled under by a sharp attack of depression early this afternoon while I was on the eliptical. It's been several weeks since I've had an episode like that. I thought I had recovered fairly well before I went to the St. Mary's parents group this afternoon, but one of the other parents commented on my appearance. The immediate cause was an intense empathy for my son Adam, but there's a lot of other angsty midlife stuff going on too. Being over the hill sucks out loud.

7 comments:

Ms-Chievous said...

Dumpster Dude, I don't know if you are aware of the fact that you inspire me.
Just sayin'.

Randy said...

Thanks, Ms-C.

Miranda said...

You are a very groovy dude. I hope you regain your equilibrium.

Ann said...

Do you ever feel like a fraud? I'm not saying you ARE, I'm just projecting. I have this online persona and people think I'm all that and a bag of chips because of it. But there's a big disconnect between how I see myself and how other people who have never met me see me.

A bunch of us think you are just awesome and inspiring. Your depressive episodes are entirely to be expected, given some of your challenges. But sometimes I think the way we see you and the way you see you is not at all the same. And when we tell you how awesome you are, it actually makes it worse.

Randy said...

Oh yeah, I feel like a fraud all the time. I know all of my shortcomings and weaknesses all too well. I think I'm pretty close to my real self here on the blog, but you are getting everything from my POV.

Ann said...

I blogged a bit about this. You ought to go to my blog and follow the link to the Fringe.

Randy said...

Ann, you have posting rights on Complicated Shadows, you know. Why don't you take that article from the Fringe and put it on here? It would make for an interesting discussion.