Thursday, May 12, 2005

Fun lawyer trick

Yesterday, in another venue, I had an opportunity to employ a favorite trick of people in my profession, particularly in my motherland, the Whole Other Country of Texas. Anyhow, I wrapped my argument up in the red, white, and blue, and further argued that the opposing side was downright unAmerican. Then I added one of my favorite "Animal House" lines: "and I will not sit here while you bad-mouth the United States of America!" You can do that with just about any side of any issue, and it's pretty dang fun to accuse people of being unAmerican. It might not be quite as fun as it was to call them pinkos or Communists, but those labels don't have the ooomph they had back in the day.

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

I will not sit here while you bad-mouth the United States of America!"

Ha ha! Brilliant tactic :)

Ann said...

"In another venue..." Hmm. That was specific.