Sunday, February 20, 2005

I've had a very weird psychosomatic pattern since Adam moved to the St. Mary's school. Historically, I've been the parent who gets up early with the kids on weekends, and the one who runs them ragged all over town on Saturdays and Sundays. Now, I tend to crash physically and emotionally on Friday nights, then have panic/anxiety symptoms on Saturdays. I think my mind and body are anxious about the abrupt change in my routine, and that causes the symptoms I've been experiencing. I'm treating myself by increasing my Zen sitting and by doubling my dose of Lexapro. I'll be seeing a psychiatrist on Friday about this, as it seems to be a mental issue with physical symptoms.

4 comments:

doug said...

Randy could it be utter dread at the thought of expending the required energy to work with two autistic children? I imagine the possibility that your historical experience has served as a type of aversion therapy. You know, similar to how they treat addictions by associating the addictive substance with something awful like electric shock or an emetic. I am of course just throwing out guesses. I admire that you are into action with the Zen and therapy. Hell, I admire you just because you are the loyal parent of two beautiful autistic children.

Miranda said...

I totally agree with voodoo, so what else is new? This has been a very abrupt and traumatic change and it will just take time to get used to. You have lived the last several years under constant stress and your body and your spirit need time to change course and find a new normal.

Phoebe said...

Are you doubling your dose of Lexapro all on your own mathematical calculations? Whoa. I get dizzy thinking about that.

That was my two cents, but I'm billing you $25.

Randy said...

I'm too lazy to calculate exactly how much Lexapro to add; I'd rather just take a second pill and see what happens.