Thursday, July 08, 2004

I got this in the mail recently:

Dear Friend,

I don't want to believe you've abandoned the Republican Party, but I have to ask . . . Have you given up?

Our records show we have not yet received your Republican National Committee membership renewal for the critical 2004 presidential election year.

. . . .

So I am surprised and concerned because I know how generously you have supported the RNC in the past and how instrumental your help was in electing a Republican President and Congress.

[yada, yada, yada]?

Sincerely,
Mike Retzer
Treasurer

I was telling Craig just yesterday about receiving a similar fund-raising letter from my law school. The difference being that I had actually donated money to the law school in the past, and I was pissed when I got a letter saying that they were concerned because they hadn't heard from me. I have never given a dime to the Republican Party or the Democratic Party either, for that matter, so imagine how surprised I was to hear how generous I have been in the past. At the office, I get stuff from the DNC and I somehow was on John Edwards's mailing list. My magazine subscriptions or whatever must create an interesting profile -- am I an Edwards Republican? A Demopublican? A Republocrat? Just plain fucked-up?

1 comment:

Ann said...

I got a phone call from US News and World Report yesterday:

"Hi, I'm Steve from Publisher's. We service your U.S. News and World Report Subscription. Is it arriving on time and in good condition?"

"Yes."

"Are you still reading and enjoying it?"

"No."

"Oh."

"I have a stack of unread magazines of all sorts about 18 inches high. I realize my subscription is running out, but I just never read it, so I won't be renewing."

"Oh. OK. Well, thank you."

I find I'm much more polite to telemarketers now that I'm on the Do Not Call list. I'm only getting calls from people I've actually done business with before. It's awesome.