Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Tough call



I went into the temporary headquarters of my office yesterday to have my laptop fixed. While there, I told my boss that I was going to hang around town until I was certain about DSL Internet access at home. My boss gave me a pretty hard sell on the benefits of staying here for a while longer than I had intended. The boss is not a hard-sell kinda guy, so I figured that he must want as many people here in the central office for as long as possible. DW is leaving for Utah tomorrow, and the boys are at St. Mary's, so I'll be flying solo for the next few weeks. And there are many worse places to be than downtown Houston. I walked over to the hotel where the office has made arrangements, and I decided to stay in exile until the end of October. For fun, I plan to spend a day at one of the local water parks, and I may even attend a 3-day retreat here with the head of the San Francisco Zen Center.

8 comments:

Phoebe said...

That will be wierd, but you're lucky to have such a loyal boss. Three words: Pay Per View!

Craig said...

How many people ended up in the central office?

Ann said...

Don't y'all go gettin' any ideas about not coming back at all, y'hear?

Randy said...

There will be about 14 lawyers, including the boss, and the entire secretarial staff. Everybody else is scattered around, from Virginia to Oklahoma.

I bought a chainsaw last night, and I'll be back in Slidell over the weekend. I should be able to get my yard cleaned out. Don' worry, Ann, we'll be back.

Ann said...

We will also be in town over the weekend. We should hook up. We'll help with your yard, and you help with ours, or something. Just a thought.

Have you considered making your place available to somebody locally who doesn't have a place to stay? We're thinking that would be letter than the house being empty for two months.

doug said...

When I read that you had bought a chainsaw I immediately thought of that Pink Floyd song (while it isn't quite the same thing the sentiment remains) - "Be careful with that Ax Eugene".

I dunno, maybe you are quite handy with the power tools but I'd hate to hear that you had severed your femoral artery - that would totally suck. So I am doing my part and making the needless observation (just cause I am into "needless things" these days, call me crazy).

*voodew off his meds again*

Randy said...

For some reason, DW suggested the other night that I might want to be extra careful with the chainsaw. I'll confess that my competency with tools and home repair projects is laughable. Heck, sometimes I go six weeks without cutting the grass. The super-tidy Washingtons across the street doubtlessly lament the fact that we live there.

Ann, I'll give y'all a call when I get into town.

Ann said...

Randy, call the home phone. Cell phone may work also, but it's erratic for incoming calls. I'd call you but I don't have your new number.

Crowds of Mormons coming in to town tomorrow to help. Want on the list? Stop at the storehouse, now located on Robert Rd. next to the Pentacostal church (since you're so un-Mormon these days...)