Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Sleepy Randy


I spent last night at the sleep clinic of the local hospital.  I arrived at 8 p.m., and the technician explained everything and hooked me up with a couple dozen wires. They were able to detect any movement of my face, mouth, arms, neck, or legs, and they could detect if and when I stopped breathing.  The new clinic facility was opened about 10 days ago, so the bed was new and very comfortable.  I fell asleep shortly before 9 p.m., lying square on my back.  I always sleep face-down, so sleeping on my back is a challenge.  I woke up briefly at 5:20 a.m, then slept until 7:00 a.m.  I thought I would probably need to stay for some further testing today, as I had experienced my best night's sleep in months.  However, the doctor came in around 7:30 and said, "well, it was pretty miserable last night."  I definitely have sleep apnea, and it gets worse the deeper my sleep gets.  Also, I evidently grind my teeth during apnea episodes before I begin breathing again.  The next step is to be put on a CPAP machine, which uses air pressure to keep the throat open at night.

Also last night, I dreamt that I was hiding out with the "Scarface" version of Al Pacino.  We were being hunted by somebody, either the cops or other drug lords, I can't remember. Also, I had a dream where I lost a tooth. Supposedly, losing teeth reflects anxiety.

1 comment:

JoeinVegas said...

I did the same thing a few years ago. Took a while to get used to the damn thing, but then I found out the sleep I was missing. This led to a weight loss medical thing, and after shedding 50 pounds I didn't need the machine any more.