Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Under the Sea



This is the Flower Garden Banks reef, 50-100 miles or so south of the Louisiana/Texas border in the Gulf.  I'd like to go diving there someday, but only after I lose a whole bunch of weight.

A year or so ago, I read a magazine article trying to push scuba as a Zen activity. I thought it was a dumb idea at the time. Now I think it kind of makes sense from a mental-relaxation standpoint--but only when there are no bullsharks swimming around or depleted air tanks to worry about. I'll have to think about it next time I go underwater.

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

That's so beautiful! The water is surprisingly clear. I thought it would be too polluted to see stuff like that.

Weightless floating would indeed take your mind off your body, but I can see how worrying about empty air tanks and giant fishes would steal your concentration.

Love picture blogs!

Mike D. said...

never been scuba diving, but i love to snorkel. i can see how it could be considered a zen activity. the quietness of being underwater, the focused breathing, the fluidity.

i also surf and that definitely can have it's zen-like moments (like i really know what that means). you should try it sometime.