Sunday, March 13, 2005

"Hero." No, not me. The movie.

This afternoon, we watched "Hero," starring Jet Li. The movie is un-freakin'-believable. The acting is different from Hollywood films, the pacing is slow, and there is far less dialogue than in most films. The martial arts sequences are superb, mixing great fighting with Matrix-like computer animation. The cinematography is brilliant--indeed, it may surpass "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Doctor Zhivago," and that's saying something. The filmmakers use colors, costumes, settings, and even calligraphy in a way that makes every scene of the film a work of art unto itself. A great example of film as art. Check it out!

2 comments:

Refuge said...

I've told my friends that Hero is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with even more imagery, and less of a plot. :) It is like watching a painting, isn't it? Great film! You should also check out House of Flying Daggers. The end contains some of the most wonderful cinematography I've ever seen.

Randy said...

That characterization of Hero is spot-on. It may be the only good movie I've seen where the visuals advance the story more than the actors themselves. A film buff in my office said that about Titanic, but mostly because the writing and acting in that film were notably bad. The acting and dialogue in Hero were appropriate to the story.

I'll have to look for House of Flying Daggers. Years ago, my mother and I watched Kung Fu theater on the USA cable network every Sunday afternoon. Martial arts movies have come a long way since then, though I don't know whether anybody will top Bruce Lee.