Friday, June 17, 2005

Office picking

Our office is moving into a much larger space next year, and today the office manager took the first group to begin the "office selection process." I think that's what she called it, anyway. I've had a window office since 1991, but quite a few of our attorneys are cooped up all day without any natural light. Everybody will have a window office in the new place--even Craig would have one, were he still around, though he no doubt has a corner office with walnut paneling by now. I had hoped that the other folks in my group wouldn't notice the office way in back, which wasn't even marked as a supervisory office on our little maps. Unfortunately, everybody noticed it and wanted it. I'm number 7 or so on the seniority list, so I won't be moving into that office. Still, there were two other very decent senior citizen offices at the back of the building, and I may stand a good chance of getting one of them. The back of the building is secluded, and the view from there appeals to me. I just need to convince the people ahead of me in line that they want views of the courthouse and the park, and that the views from the back are hideous.

8 comments:

Ann said...

Woo hoo, Randy's in the "first group!" An office with a window, you are so the bomb. I don't even have an office, really, because our office has a very open floor plan. I'm in an alcove, alone, next to the computer room. The computer room has a door with a window, so I leave the door into the computer room from my alcove. That way I get a little natural light, and I can listen to the servers hum.

How did I make this about me? A gift, I guess.

What is a "senior citizen" office?

Randy said...

We have an official hierarchy of 1) the boss; 2) 5 supervisors; 3) 5 senior writing attorneys; and 4) 45 or so writing attorneys. I'm in group #3, which I labeled "senior citizen" in my posting. Office sizes and trim levels (paint vs. wallpaper) are set out in regulations in D.C., so the higher your official status, the better your office. Actually, I've had a supervisory level office since 1996, but that was just pure serendipity. In practice, we're a very informal office, but nobody turns down perks like big offices with windows.

Miranda said...

Use your Jedi mind trick. Don't forget the wave. Or plant something icky in there when they go to tour the new digs.

Craig said...

Perhaps I should be granted a window office in absentia?

Randy said...

Perhaps we can put up a Craig Corner of Kant right next to the St. Faustine shrine?

Randy said...

Damn! I couldn't believe that the prime corner office was unclaimed when it was my turn to pick. It took me about two minutes to think it over and choose it. The office is opposite the elevators, but the building won't have enough traffic for that to be a problem. It's also close to the mechanical service room, but the big AC units are outside, so I don't expect too much noise coming from there.

Ann said...

Woo hoo! Big Corner Office! Re: traffic, etc...it does have a DOOR, right?

Randy said...

That's just it. I can always just close the door if it gets noisy. Or put on a Ramones album. That would be cool, since I'm right off the main reception area.