Monday, February 16, 2004

I was waxing philosophical over the weekend for some reason, and I thought about the question, "what is the highest truth?" Of course, the answer depends in part on how one defines "truth." Moreover, the answer is -- or should be -- entirely subjective depending on who is providing the answer.

For me, the highest truth is found in my love for others, especially my wife and children. I like to think that everything I do is somehow rooted in my love for them. Paul's poetic description of love ("charity") in the New Testament is a great definition of the love I feel for my family.

Spirituality also is important to me. However, for me spirituality is subjective, experiential, and experimental. I find more spiritual meaning in nature, music, art, and meditation than I do in more formal settings. I have total respect for people who find spirituality in other ways. I'm grateful that DW's parents, who are devout, by-the-book Mormons, appear to respect my less formal path to spirituality. I hope it stays that way.

Honesty and integrity are important to me as well. I love a good debate, and I'm a big free-speech advocate. I'd rather have someone disagree with me honestly than agree with me dishonestly. I realize that people make mistakes -- I know I do -- and the best policy is to own up to those mistakes and move on. I also realize that part of my nature wants to put a positive spin on my actions; I assume that we all have that tendency. That's not necessarily dishonest. As for integrity, to me that means acting consistent with one's values and being honest in one's dealings.

Maybe I'll come back to this broad philosophical topic later. Now I've got to finish taking down the Christmas tree. It's only February 16!

No comments: