Saturday, January 27, 2007

Under the Sea

Last night, I dreamed that I was watching a middle-aged woman and her 20-something son, standing atop an invisible bridge that appeared to span a part of the ocean. The water was very clear. The son had a rod and reel--I couldn't tell whether it was designed for fly-fishing or bait-fishing--and the woman gave her son a choice between catching a worthless species of fish or catching a type of fruit that held the secrets to life, the universe, and everything. There were fish and fruit floating in the seemingly fast-moving water. She was frustrated and annoyed when he chose to pursue the fish, so she pointed out the fruit to me. I dove into the water after the fruit, and suddenly found myself deep in the water, underneath killer whales, baleen whales, dolphins, and other acquatic life. I realized that I needed to surface soon, or I would run out of air and die. I swam up and up, but couldn't seem to get to the top. As I neared the surface, I grabbed ahold of a creature that looked something like a puffer-fish that could somehow be used to save my life if I surfaced unconscious and with no air in my lungs. At that point, I actually woke up. Damn, if it wasn't 2:00 a.m., and a piece of my CPAP mask broke in two when I tried to get back to sleep.

No comments: