Thursday, July 14, 2005

Latter-day dreaming


Last night I dreamed that DW and I took the kids to a social event at our local LDS chapel. We saw quite a few people we've known from the local LDS community over the years. However, I was wary of these people, most of whom I haven't seen in years. They were just a bit too friendly to us--and too bright, shiny, and happy--and it totally creeped me out. I put DW and the kids into the car. A crowd of Mormons surrounded the car and wouldn't let us out of the parking lot. I seem to recall the leader of the group saying that they wanted our kids.

Next thing I know, I'm very agitated because the LDS group has trashed a house DW and I are renting. Somehow, the group is having a social function at the house, and nobody gives a hoot about cleaning up after themselves (sadly, this is all-too-common, and not just among Mormons). I'm annoyed because the house will need to be cleaned before we can leave and get away from these people.

Finally, I load the family into the car, which happens to be a mid-90s Chevrolet Corsica with bad brakes. We used to own a 1995 Chevy Corsica with bad brakes, so that's probably no coincidence. I had just purchased the car without test-driving it or anything, just so we could drive off. The brakes wouldn't stop the car, and not even the emergency brake was of much use. I recall being able to coast to a stop a couple of times.

This dream must have been pretty intense, because DW shook me and told me that I was screaming. It was like we were being kidnapped by a cult or something, and, truth be told, I can't think of any Mormons around here--or very many at all--who behave like wacko cult fanatics (I'm sure there are some; I just don't know any). In any event, the dream probably says more about me than it does about them. Just what, I don't know. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Miranda said...

I still have to read the post, but I really thought it was titled "Latter Day Screaming."

I caught it finally.

Randy said...

Okay, here's a little song to go with the picture. :)

I love to see the temple.
I’m going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I’ll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.

I love to see the temple.
I’ll go inside someday.
I’ll cov’nant with my Father;
I’ll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I’ve learned this truth:
A fam’ly is forever.

Trail Seeker said...

My wife and I just got back from a backpacking trip, it was amazing how the rhythm of walking would conjure up church songs in my head. One was "Follow the Profit" I had to consciencely put another tune in my head to shake it. I noticed the songs were ones that had a distince beat that would blend well with the plodding of footsteps.

Randy said...

TrailSeeker might want to employ Ozzy's "Ironman," a song that the USC band marches along to:

Has he lost his mind?
Can he see or is he blind?
Can he walk at all,
Or if he moves will he fall?
Is he alive or dead?
Has he thoughts within his head?
We'll just pass him there
why should we even care?

He was turned to steel
in the great magnetic field
Where he travelled time
for the future of mankind

Nobody wants him
He just stares at the world
Planning his vengeance
that he will soon unfold

Now the time is here
for Iron Man to spread fear
Vengeance from the grave
Kills the people he once saved

Nobody wants him
They just turn their heads
Nobody helps him
Now he has his revenge

Heavy bullets of lead
fills his victims full of dread
Running as fast as they can
Iron Man lives again!

A nice, happy tune for the trail!

Ann said...

The OSU Marching Band (TBDBITL) marches a lot to "Hang On Sloopy." TS might want to try that as well.

Was I in your dream? It's funny that we are in the same ecclesiastical unit (at least officially), and yet have never been in the building at the same time.

Randy said...

Nope, you weren't in there.