Sunday, July 24, 2005

Angels in Alexandria

DW and I returned from Alexandria, Louisiana, this morning, after a nice visit with Toby and Adam. Adam has decided that he is going to learn how to swim, and he had DW pulling him around the motel pool, then dropping him in the water so he could locomote by himself. He needs to learn how to breathe in the water, and needs to keep his body more stiff, but I'll be darned if he isn't getting the stroking and kicking down. This is a child whose estmated functional age equivalency is around 15-18 months, and a child who is entirely nonverbal. DW and I were thrilled to see him focused and working towards a goal that is a pretty common one for kids his age. Toby, meanwhile, had me running between the pool and the elevator. In the water, he would shout "Toh-BEE!" or "Ah-MAN!" (Adam) when he wanted to be thrown into the air. He got a little too curious about the interior of the elevator, and he found himself shoved into it. I really thought he wanted to ride in it. I was wrong. Anyway, we all had fun.

1 comment:

JT said...

That´s so wonderful! Go Adam! Go Toby!