Tuesday, March 01, 2005


I haven't seen "The Aviator" or "Million Dollar Baby," so I can't venture an opinion about whether Martin Scorsese was robbed of another Oscar this year or not. However, this was Marty's fifth Oscar defeat. "Taxi Driver" lost to "Rocky" in 1976; "Raging Bull" lost to "Ordinary People" in 1980; "GoodFellas" lost to "Dances with Wolves" in 1990; and "Gangs of New York" lost to "Chicago" (a movie I loved) in 2002. Nothing against "Rocky" or "Ordinary People"--I hated "Dances with Wolves"--but "Taxi Driver," "Raging Bull," and "GoodFellas" are three classics of the American cinema. Perhaps the Academy is uncomfortable with Marty's explorations of the dark, violent Jungian shadow piece of the collective American psyche, I don't know. But, damn, I love those movies.  Posted by Hello

No comments: