Thursday, March 24, 2005

Guilt Trip


I've been thinking recently about the notion of guilt. I feel very guilty about my childrens' situation, even though I know on a logical, intellectual level that I am not at fault, and that the decisions I have had to make were made as objectively as possible and with their best interests at heart.

Anyway, my own guilty feelings have led me to think about guilt generally--what kinds of things I've felt guilty about in the past, what kinds of things I feel guilty about now, and whether it's healthy for me to feel guilty about anything. Also, an LDS apostle with the initials BKP not too long ago gave an address about guilt as a motivational factor. The notion of good guilt is not an idea I happen to agree with, actually; nevertheless, the BKP talk did turn a few wheels in my head as I was busy disagreeing with it.

When I was younger, I felt guilt over such normal teenage activities as masturbation, taking an occasional smoke or drink, and sexuality generally. I even felt guilty about having sexual dreams. With the help of life experience and, more recently, Zen, I recognize that a great many things just are--neither good nor bad, just are--and should not induce guilt. That really helps me as the father of two disabled kids. Still, I'd like to think I'm a moral person, and that some actions or thoughts perhaps should induce feelings of guilt and/or shame. Thoughts? Comments? Posted by Hello

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

That was one of the major transformations for me as well when I mentally left the mormon church -- realizing the notion that things "just are."
However, I would like the world to believe in some basic "moral" rules, and it seems that "moral" is a word that is interpreted in too many ways to reach a consensus. For example, some would think that gay marriage is "immoral." I don't. I think that shooting animals for fun and profit is "immoral," and some don't.
Same goes for exposed belly buttons, body piercings, drinking, smoking, bombing countries, charging exorbitant amounts of money, and watching movies with sex in them. There is no consensus on whether any of these activities are definitely moral or not.
I think that basically it is good to remember we share the planet with billions of other people, and we should act with consideration.

Randy said...

Great comments. I realized last night just how well this photograph reflects how I feel. First, I've felt guilty, regretful, and depressed all week long. Second, between my dreams, Zen, and therapy, I feel as though I'm viewing myself in the harsh light of reality, with nothing to hide, as if I'm naked.