Sunday, March 05, 2006

I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!


I picked up the 30th anniversary edition of "Network" yesterday, and watched a little bit of it today. "Network" has been one of my favorite movies for a long time; I enjoy cynical, dark comedy, and that pretty much describes this movie. I had forgotten just how brilliantly prescient the film is. A screaming, crazy news commentator who catches on with the public. An amoral programming director who wants to put terrorists on the air, and who turns the news into an entertainment show. A corporate tool who doesn't care what goes on the air, so long as it makes money. Peter Finch won a posthumous Oscar for his totally over-the-top portrayal of Howard Beale, the angry prophet denouncing the hypocracies of our times. His "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" became a catchphrase of the 1970s. "Network" is a dark, funny movie, and it really is scary just how accurate it has been in predicting the future of TV news. Posted by Picasa

No comments: