Monday, October 24, 2005

Scary photo


This is the storm surge from Hurricane Katrina, topping the levee along the Intracoastal Waterway in N.O. East. The water scoured a trench at the bottom of the levee, and the weight of the water in the canal punched holes in the structure. The photo was taken by an Entergy employee who was manning an elevated energy substation.

Toby and I had big fun over the weekend, though I might have had more fun had he not awakened between 3 and 4 a.m. three days in a row, with notebook and pen in hand, demanding that I draw for him. Most amazingly, Toby somehow knew about a lengthy canal that runs along I-10 back behind the John Slidell Park. The two of us spent a couple of hours throwing sticks, branches, and clumps of dirt into the canal. Toby even knew about a stretch of the canal that was obscured by a thick clump of fallen pine trees. He must be able to smell water, or maybe he just figured out from scoping things out from the car and from the swingset how the geography around there all fits together. I had no idea that the creek even existed. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Ann said...

Where did you find that picture?

Interesting change for Toby - throwing things into the water, rather than stripping and trying to jump in!

Didja hear that Lower 9th is flooding again? Groundwater seeping in...

Randy said...

I got the picture from either NOLA.com or WWLTV.com.

Toby used to make me throw sticks and pinecones into the retention ponds in our subdivision. Now he can throw stuff in on his own. It's a big deal, I think.