Friday, October 21, 2005

Freedom in the piney woods

We brought Toby home to Slidell today, and, a few minutes after arriving home, he took off across the backyard, through the broken fence, and into the woods in his bare feet. "French fries! French fries! French fries!" he shouted, as I--also barefoot--ran across the post-Katrina canopy of pine needles, downed trees, and rather a lot of household garbage behind the neighbor's house. Silly me, shouting "you can't get there that way!," which, while true, was quite beside the point. There was a tantrum as I pulled him back into the yard, but it lasted only a couple of minutes. It should be an interesting weekend.

2 comments:

doug said...

Are you sporting any bite marks?

I love French fries - I find myself regularly identifying with Toby, first the elevator and now the fries (except I don't exactly want to bite you).

Randy said...

Aw, c'mon, Voodew, I was sorta lookin' forward to that. And some French fries too.