Saturday, September 03, 2005

Temporary Texan

It looks like I'll be hanging around a little while longer in the land of my birth, the Whole Other Country of Texas. My work will be temporarily located in Houston, and I will begin working again next Monday. I hope to be able to work from home in Slidell once power and water are restored. DW will be visiting her folks for a while to get away from the discombobulation of the situation.

In the outrage category, the people in the Superdome were stopped from boarding buses briefly yesterday so that 700 guests from the Hyatt hotel could go in front of them. Conditions in the Hyatt were bad, but not nearly as bad as they were in the Dome. In the looking-up category, the patients and medical staff at Charity and University hospitals finally have been evacuated. It was so bad at Charity that nurses were giving each other IVs to avoid starvation and dehydration.

3 comments:

JT said...

Susch a sad and unnecessary catastrophy. It haunts me. :(

JT said...

*cough* Not to imply that there is such a thing as a necessary catastrophy.

Just that it could have been either prevented and/or minimized in many ways. :-/

Refuge said...

I don't get it. I just don't. Hasn't it been a week or so since it started? And people still haven't been evacuated and/or taken care of? The only concrete thing we've seen about the relief-work on the news over here in Norway is the Governor bringing in 7,000 soldiers from Iraq who are "able and more than willing to shoot to kill." Disbelief is the word!