Thursday, September 01, 2005

Oh. My. Gawd!





Here is our house this morning. Our back fence is toast, and a couple of trees came very close to hitting the house, but they didn't. Other than that, we lost about 4-5 shingles, and that's it! We are very, very, very fortunate.

After we checked on our house and grabbed a few things, we drove over by Ann's house. Ann and her DH were actually there. They had a small amount of water damage, but it sounded like it was fairly minor.

I may even sleep tonight.

As for what's going on in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes, I'm just not sure what to say. It's sad and outrageous, probably for many, many reasons. What's going on at the Dome and Convention Center is completely outrageous, and should never be allowed to happen in any American city--never.

10 comments:

Trail Seeker said...

Thats great news for both of you, such a close call. Thanks for sharing the photos, I can imagine the relief when you pulled up and found your home still there in one piece. How about your neighbors, did they fair as well as you?

Randy said...

We're looking at about 8-12 weeks in exile, possibly in Houston.

Craig said...

Randy: have you heard anything about volunteering opportunities? Laura has a full head of steam for joining a relief effort, so I'm on the lookout for such.

Miranda said...

Craig, I understand how your wife feels. I heard a call for volunteers from the Michigan Red Cross and I wanted to help so badly. Maybe your local Red Cross would have info?

I am so glad your home is okay.

Randy said...

The Red Cross isn't doing squat yet inside Orleans or Jefferson Parishes, whatever the fundraising ads are leading people to believe. You might want to check out www.methodistrelief.org, and see whether they have any opportunities. IIRC, the United Methodist Church is headquartered right there in your town. It could be that the best thing would be to donate money, I don't know.

JT said...

All I can say is that I'm grateful you guys are safe. I had no idea what was going on, the news here downplayed what happened at first.

We just started getting some REAL information today (Friday).

Randy said...

We live far enough from Lake Pontchartrain that storm surge will never be an issue for us, and our town is above sea level, so there are no levees to be breached. Craig, you might direct L. to the St. Tammany or St. Charles governmental sites I put links to on the office blog. They might have some volunteer opportunities much sooner than Orleans or Jefferson.

Phoebe said...

Unreal. So, so, so, glad you guys weren't there when all that happened.

Liseysmom said...

I'm so relieved that your house is okay. We've been keeping you in our thoughts. Good luck in your exile - hopefully you'll be back home soon.

Mike D. said...

glad your house and ann's are okay. it looks like life won't return to some kind of normalcy around there for quite a while.