Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Money

DW and I stood in line for two hours yesterday for a check from the Red Cross. Anybody who lives in an affected area code is eligible for the money (Ann, are you reading this?), and in Houston the RC is passing out money at a local church. Otherwise, you have to call a number that's always busy. It's a sea of humanity down there, much of which arrived in cars much nicer than mine, thus assuaging my guilt at taking the cash to defray the costs of our evacuation.

3 comments:

Ann said...

We've received FEMA money (did you apply online? They're doing direct deposit.) And an insurance advance. Little boy's school here has money set aside for clothes and supplies for hurricane people. We'll probably talk to the Red Cross here today. The whole thing makes me feel vaguely ill.

doug said...

Ann, I can't say for sure but if I was in your position I think I might have similar feelings. I don't think you guys are doing anything immoral or unethical. But like I said, strangely I can relate as flawed as that is.

Randy said...

I feel ill about it too. I put in a FEMA application just in case there's something wrong that I haven't discovered yet. My guess is that we're not going to be eligible for any FEMA aid, but I want to be in the system just in case. Also, a coworker told me that FEMA is just handing out extra $ due to the magnitude of the hurricane. She lives in St. Bernard Parish, which was totally destroyed, so she will need whatever money she can get. That's where I feel ill--between insurance, the Red Cross, and FEMA picking up part of our hotel tab, I've more-or-less covered our evacuation costs. I suppose I could turn around and donate any extra I might get to some relevant charity.