Sunday, June 12, 2005

Guest Post: Randy's Links - The Daily Zen

What I know about Buddhism would not fill a thimble. Just spending ten minutes at the web site The Daily Zen reinforced how broad is the scope this ancient philosophy - and yet, how simple the practice.

Simple, but not easy. Just 30 seconds into Zenbo, a cyber meditation space, and my eyelids were getting heavy. Back when I used to try and meditate, I had the same problem...I would get drowsy and then my mind would start working.

I enjoyed the Zen Legends link, which told a story of the barbarian from the west, and how he instructed a very confused emperor on what actions have merit ("Only those that exist outside the mind.") There was also a reference to the meditative nature of the tea ceremony...something Randy hasn't mentioned participating in.

The artwork is lovely; from simple flowing line drawings to detailed illustrations of cherry blossoms or a mountain journey. Just looking at some of the artwork was relaxing and peaceful...not a sensation I normally associate with web surfing.

Of course, there's stuff for sale.

The links page looks like it would lead to many interesting sites - one that intrigued me is yakrider.com, which had a link on Christianity that could make for some interesting reading. The contrast in eastern vs. western concepts of time was also intriguing.

All in all, I think this is a site I would enjoy exploring in some depth. But to do so, I think I might have to be deep!

1 comment:

Randy said...

Ann--you might want to check out some of the writings of Thich Nhat Hanh. He works at finding common ground between Buddhism and Christianity.