Friday, May 13, 2005

Local flora


I've recently become much more aware of my local environment. Maybe it's the haiku jones, or maybe it's just a mid-life thing. I notice more of the beauty of Louisiana than before. Then I see all the garbage on the side of the road, but that's something for another day. Anyhow, our gentle reader Kristian in Norway mentioned magnolias recently in his corner of cyberspace. Magnolias happen to be native to Louisiana, and, in East Asian art, they represent feminine strength and sweetness.

Magnolia blossom--
Earth speaks softly to the South
with a sweet fragrance. Posted by Hello

8 comments:

Refuge said...

I don't really have to write haikus anymore when you write them so incredibly well for me, do I? :) Thanks, that one was brilliant!

Right now I'm listening to Ryan Adams' 'Magnolia Mountain' off his latest album. I swear magnolias are haunting my every breathing moment these days. I don't mind, though! ;)

"Oh, I want to go to Magnolia Mountain and lay my weary head down.."

Randy said...

Gosh, that's high praise coming from you. Around here we have Magnolia Mound Plantation (Baton Rouge, LA), lots of Magnolia Streets, and the Magnolia State (Mississippi, which is about 15 miles from my house). Miss. even has a sketch of a magnolia on its license plates. Also, check out P.T. Anderson's "Magnolia." I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's a pretty good movie.

doug said...

You write haikus with a connection to the feminine. Nicely done.

Stephen said...

Nicely framed shot.

Phoebe said...

Beauty-laden tree
Magnolias bespeak South
And warm summer nights

Randy said...

Egg-ce-lent, Phoebe! You have magnolia with four syllables and I have it with three. Works both ways.

Stephen--I clip most of my photos from google, so I can't take credit for the framing of the shot. It is nicely done, however.

Phoebe said...

We Westerners pro-nounce each syl-LA-ble.

Refuge said...

Haiku syllable rules are made to be broken. :)