Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Guilt-trippin'

[Edited to delete some specifics about my current guilt trip] All I know is that I'm not sleeping well, and it doesn't seem from an intellectual standpoint like the shit that's causing me grief really should be making me feel all that guilty to begin with. I suspect that my tendency towards excess guilt is in part a residual of my cultural/subcultural conditioning; in part my own internal process of taking responsibility for things I can't control; and in part a reaction to some funky family and personal challenges. So what to do?

3 comments:

Phoebe said...

Kick Guilt Guy in the balls. I think you're doing the best you can in situation, and not everybody would have been fortunate to have found such a nice school for their kids that you did, and focusing 95% on your kids is way too neurotic of a state to be in to be functional.

Oh. Did somebody ask for my opinion? :)

Randy said...

I suppose I (the conscious I, that is) need to create some kind of Zen hex or hoo-doo (is there such a thing?) to ward off Guilt Guy as much as possible. What is, is, and G.G. needs to get as okay with that as he possibly can. Or maybe I'll just kick him in the balls.

Miranda said...

Maybe think of Guilt Guy as proof you care and love your boys. Guilt is often associated with its shadow side, but maybe the best thing you can do is see its light side. It motivates you to stay connected with your family and to continue to research and investigate the best treatments and lifestyles for your boys. I think GG needs some reassurance that that part of your pscyche is still necessary. Maybe that's why he's been so vocal recently.