Sunday, August 28, 2005

Randy's Babylonian Exile

Well, not really; I'm in Houston, Texas, riding out the hurricane in a motel filled with my fellow Louisianians. We left home at 5:30 p.m. yesterday, after deciding to just get in the car and go once we had our stuff packed and ready. I used my fairly decent knowledge of the road system to cheat a little on the state's evacuation plan, and that probably saved us at least two hours. My first cynical ploy was at the I-12 exit to Hwy. 190. We were supposed to get off and go on 190 to Baton Rouge, while the South Shore people got I-12 for part of their evacuation. I drove up 190 for about a mile, then flipped a U-turn, drove back the other way past the cops, then did another U-turn, and got into the evacuation line from the South Shore. Later, we were diverted onto 190 again; this time, nobody was supposed to be on I-12. After it took us one hour to go 11 miles, I took a chance with a road I know has access to I-12. The entrance was open, and we drove 85 miles per hour the rest of the way to Baton Rouge. Anyway, we got to Houston around 1:30 a.m.

Our laptops from work are supposedly set up for us to work during events like this. This morning, however, I discovered that our wi-fi capabilities haven't been activated, and I don't have a bloody clue about doing that. So we went to Best Buy and bought a wi-fi card for DW's laptop, and that doesn't work either. Man, I've been jonesin' for the Internet today! Right now I'm in the motel business center. Also today, I've been swimming, and we browsed the fabulous-but-too-expensive-for-me-to-shop-at Houston Galleria and went to see "The Brothers Grimm."

Hurricane Katrina is going to be very, very bad for the New Orleans area. Several years ago, I read a series of articles in the local paper about the damage a theoretical category 5 hurricane would do, if it came in at just the right angle. It looks like this is that storm.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Don't you have high-speed internet in your room? If so, you should just be able to plug your computer in using a standard category 5 internet cable. I got mine at Radio Shack (I forgot mine) but they have them for 40% less at Target. I was at Target this evening buying a new mouse - priorities, man! I must have my 'net access if I have a PC!

Craig said...

Also, most hotels have extra cables at the front desk if they have high speed internet access.

I hope all the people at the office got out of town okay, and I hope you enjoy Texas. I can advise you to head directly to Luling for some eats (and don't waste your time at the Luling City Market in Houston).

I have plans to respond to your email, but I suppose it is hard to hit send on plans.

Randy said...

I think the motel hotspot was on the fritz yesterday. Evidently, yesterday's connection wasn't wireless. I'll try it in our room again later on. I spent way too much time on that yesterday; one of my pet peeves is stuff that doesn't work (and the instructions for the wi-fi card were piss poor).

The latest from N.O. is that there's a hole in the Superdome and the water is pouring in. It looks like my house will get gusts up to 120 mph, but that the sustained winds will be somewhere around 80-90 mph.

Trail Seeker said...

Saw the news this morning and looks like a pretty hefty storm. I don't envy you, but it sounds like your taking it in stride.

It's good you know alternate routes, I can imagine how slow going it could be when a segment of the state is trying to use the same routes.

I will be looking for an update from you and Ann. Take care.