Monday, July 19, 2004

We watched the pilot of "Entourage" last night on HBO.  It's a show about wretched excess in Hollywood, with a young movie actor and his hanger-on best friends.  The show has promise, but it hasn't found its legs yet.  Marky Mark Wahlberg is one of the executive producers, and one would think he would know all about the subject matter of the show.  I'll keep watching this one, at least for the next few weeks.
 
I think "Six Feet Under" may have gone six feet under with last night's episode.  Most of the episode was devoted to David Fisher picking up a hitchhiker and being forced to drive him around Los Angeles.  The psycho hitchhiker ultimately poured gasoline on David, then drove off in David's van.  Along the way, the guy made David withdraw money from an ATM; dumped the corpse from David's van (David is a mortician); bought crack cocaine; made David smoke crack; had sex with David (who is gay); and made David help him catch a dog who turned out not to be his.  David had several obvious opportunities to escape or summon help -- most notably when the psycho hitchhiker left him tied up inside the van to go into a store, then he managed to untie himself -- but he either did nothing or blew his opportunities.  Give me a break!  It was like we were watching the first two seasons of "24" and David was the dim-witted Kim Bauer.  "24" is pure pulp and doesn't pretend to be anything else; "Six Feet Under" purports to be a drama with a touch of dark humor.  Or at least it did until last night.  I don't know if I'll be able to watch this turkey again, at least not this season.  

2 comments:

Ms-Chievous said...

My shocking revelation is, that I rarely if ever watch TV. It mostly just irritates me. I don't think it's even been plugged in for two months. I trust you're judgement on TV though. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dumpster.

Have you seen the "I Like to Watch" column on Salon.com? The writer, Heather Havrilesky, has an interesting take on the latest Six Feet Under.

http://dir.salon.com/topics/heather_havrilesky/

Beijing