Tuesday, April 06, 2004

This morning I was having a relatively pleasant drive into work when I was struck by a stark reminder of world affairs. The sky is cloudless and blue; the swamp is greening up; and traffic wasn't too bad. I had to bail from the Interestate and cut through the funky Bywater and Marigny neighborhoods, then through the French Quarter. I was in the midst of a neighborhood known for its laissez-faire attitude towards sobriety, sexuality, and a whole host of other issues (btw, not everybody who lives in N.O. is a besotted libertine). I turned from Dauphine Street onto Tolouse Street and looked straight ahead. Moving parallel to the river was a parade of sand-colored armored personnel carriers onboard rail cars, heading east. Presumably those APCs are destined for service in Iraq. Behind the parade of APCs was a festively decked-out riverboat. The contrast was striking to me, anyway.

No comments: