Tuesday, March 09, 2004

We had a nice televisual feast on Sunday night. I put Younger Son to bed while DW watched her guilty pleasure -- "Charmed." I get a kick out of that show sometimes because it's so silly.

Then the big event -- "The Sopranos," season five, episode one. I enjoyed the show, but I thought they tried to cram too many plotlines into one episode. The opening was fabulous, however, and I loved the idea of a grizzly bear roaming around North Caldwell, New Jersey. Can you tell that David Chase and some of the other brains of this show worked on "Northern Exposure"? I thought Tony approaching Dr. Melfi for a date was a little jarring, but it gave her the opportunity to think about the morality of associating with a mob boss. I really look forward to what looks to be an upcoming civil war inside the Noo Yawk family, and Steve Buscemi makes his debut next week.

After "The Sopranos," we caught "Curb Your Enthusiasm" for the first time. I busted a gut laughing at one of the tackiest things I've ever seen on TV. Larry David's rabbi asked if he could invite a survivor to a shindig at Larry's. Larry called his Holocaust survivor friends to tell them that another survivor would be at his party. The rabbi brought a former contestant from "Survivor" to the party (Cody, I believe is his name). At dinner, the "Survivor" contestant and one of the Holocaust survivors had a shouting match about what was worse -- being on "Survivor" or being in a Nazi death camp. DW sat in stunned silence, but she managed to laugh later on as she caught the groove of the show. Only Larry David could get away with putting something that tacky on TV.

Older Son reportedly is doing very well in his new school. I spoke with the automation person up there yesterday. She's going to get Older Son to the computer lab now that I've told her what a powerful tool it is for him. Now I'm going to poke around a little and see if I can get some new computers donated to the place.

No comments: