Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Watching Over Kids?

A 13-year-old boy shot himself in the head at school yesterday in Jefferson Parish, and he died this morning. Everybody interviewed by the newspaper characterized this boy as cheerful and friendly, and nobody saw any signs of trouble. However, his myspace page evidently contained talk of suicide. I don't know any more details than what made it into the paper, but I have to wonder whether someone should have paid attention to that myspace page and asked questions about it. I'm all for personal privacy and trust--I can't see myself reading my kids' e-mail without cause, for example--but something that is posted on the Internet isn't exactly meant to be private.

1 comment:

Don said...

I would have to agree. Unless your myspace page is blocked off to everyone except friends it's out there for public knowledge. Too bad nobody noticed sooner for this poor kid.